Carrot Cake Muffins
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound carrots , peeled and grated on small holes of box grater
- 1/2 cup currants or chopped raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts , plus extra for garnish (optional)
Instructions:Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs together in large bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined.
3. Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake until skewer or toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes (25 minutes if using currants and walnuts). Cool cupcakes in muffin tin 5 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack. Frost cupcakes with a thick and even layer of frosting. (See recipe for Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting).
Make Ahead Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. (They can also be individually wrapped in plastic and frozen in a zipper-lock bag for up to 1 month.) The frosting can be refrigerated for up to 5 days; just allow it to soften at room temperature for 30 minutes before spreading on the cupcakes. Once frosted, the cupcakes are best eaten within 1 day, but leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for several days.