Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Butter
Yield: Serves 4.
If bulgur and soy milk (found in any health food store) are not usually in your kitchen cupboard, they will become staple ingredients once you make these pancakes -- ideal for a weekend when there's time for a leisurely breakfast or brunch. -- Rabbit Hill Inn, Lower Waterford, Vermont
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/2 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cream Cheese Butter (recipe follows)
Soak the bulgur in 1 cup water for 45 to 60 minutes, then drain. (The larger the grains, the longer it will take; this can be done the night before, but refrigerate after draining.)
Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat together the egg whites, soy milk, oil, and vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, then fold in the carrot, nuts, and bulgur.
Cook on a lightly greased griddle and serve with Cream Cheese Butter.
Cream Cheese Butter
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 small package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
In a small bowl, beat the butter or margarine, cream cheese, and maple syrup until smooth. For a special effect, we like to put this in a pastry bag and pipe it onto the pancakes.