Carrot Cupcakes with Cream-Cheese Icing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
- For the Icing:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Make the cupcakes: In a bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, orange juice, vanilla extract, and eggs.
2. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add flour; mix. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and coconut.
3. Oil a standard muffin tin or line with paper cups; distribute batter evenly.
4. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool before frosting. Garnish with toasted shredded coconut.
5. Make the icing: In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.