Carrot Fettuccine with Cream
Yield: Serves 4
A swivel-blade peeler is used to create thin shavings of carrot, which remarkably resemble fettuccine. Lightly sauteed and simmered in cream, they are served with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Carrot Fettuccine is particularly good with baked chicken or fish.
- 1 pound carrots (slim ones work best)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Using long, firm strokes, apply a swivel-blade peeler down the length of each carrot. Allow the shavings to fall in a heap.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the carrots and toss to coat evenly. Stir over medium heat for about 1 minute. Pour on the medium cream and heavy cream. Bring it to a gentle bubble. Stirring occasionally, cook, uncovered, until the cream is reduced by half and the carrots are tender. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with nutmeg. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.