Carrot Ginger Soup
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter or margarine
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- salt, to taste
- dash of dry sherry, to taste
- dash of nutmeg, to taste
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
Instructions:In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add the leeks and sauté until they are soft. Add the carrot, potato, zest and juice of the orange, ginger, and brown sugar. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened.
Add the broth and milk and simmer for 20 minutes.
Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree in batches. Return to the soup pot.
Season with salt, sherry, and nutmeg, to taste. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.