Yield: Makes 16 cakes
- 2 pounds sweet cassava, peeled and shredded
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- Vegetable oil for frying
Instructions:1. Place the shredded cassava in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Stir in the lemon juice.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Add the flour, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth. Sir in the onion and garlic.
3. Drain the cassava in a sieve, pressing down to extract most of the water. Distribute the drained cassava over a clean kitchen towel. Draw up the sides of the towel and squeeze to extract all the remaining traces of liquid. Add the cassava to the egg mixture and stir in.
4. Pour enough oil into a large skillet to cover the bottom of the pan. Place over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, spoon in the mixture. Press down with the back of the spoon to form small cakes, about 1-1/2 inches across. Fry on both sides until golden brown and drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot.