cauliflower au gratin
- CAULIFLOWER AU GRATIN
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped dill or parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (or 2-tbsp fine dried)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions:Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter 6-cup baking dish.
In pot of boiling water, cook cauliflower for 3-5 minutes or until
Tender-crisp. Drain well and transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle with
In non-stick, or heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and garlic;
Cook, stirring over low heat for 1 minute.
Pour in milk; bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring
For 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Add cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, dill, salt, and pepper. Cook,
Stirring until cheeses melt. Pour over cauliflower.
TO MAKE THE TOPPING:
Mix breadcrumbs with Parmesan; sprinkle over top of casserole.
Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling.
Makes 4-6 servings