Celery Stuffed with Shrimp Pate
Yield: Serves 8
- 2 bunches Pascal celery
- 12 ounces shrimp, cooked, peeled, and deveined
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Instructions:1. Separate the ribs of celery and select 9 of the greenest, most well-formed ribs, reserving the rest for another use. Cut off the wide ends and remove the strings from the ribs. Set aside.
2. In the container of a blender or processor, combine the shrimp, cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and paprika. Whirl until smooth. The consistency should be stiff, but soft enough to spread. If the mixture is too soft, refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Spread some of the shrimp pate into the cavities of each celery rib. Fill the ribs from one end to the other. Take up 3 of the stuffed ribs and press them together to resemble a bunch of celery. Add on the remaining 6 ribs, pressing them onto the bunch. As you work, fill in any openings with the remaining shrimp pâtè.
4. Tightly wrap the re-formed bunch in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight. Just before serving cut the bunch crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Arrange each slice on a plate with a few leaves of mâche or raw spinach.