Cepout (Canadian Chicken Pie)
Yield: 8 to 12 servings
- 6 to 7 pounds fowl (or stewing hen)
- 15 to 20 pounds potatoes (10 to 12 pounds red potatoes, 5 to 8 pounds russet)
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds yellow onions
- 2 pounds breakfast sausage links
- 6 tablespoons allspice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 package refridgerated pie crust
Instructions:Cut fowl into 8 to 12 serving pieces; set aside.
Chop potatoes and onions into one-inch cubes. Place in a large 8- to 12-quart soup or stock pot. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the allspice, salt and pepper.
Top potato and onion mixture with fowl and sausage, sprinkling 1/3 of the allspice, salt and pepper. Add remaining potato and onion mixture over meats, sprinkling with remaining seasonings. Cover with pie crust and cover pot.
Bake in 350-degree oven for 3 to 4 hours, checking periodically. About 2/3 of the way through, check to make sure there is enough juices, if not, add 2 cups water. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving.