- 15 ounces ricotta cheese (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups tomato sauce (see note above)
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles (one 8- or 9-ounce package)
- 1 pound whole milk mozzarella, shredded (4 cups)
Instructions:Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the Parmesan, the basil, egg, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place 3 of the noodles on top of the sauce and drop 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture down the center of each noodle, then spread it to an even thickness. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the mozzarella. Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the sauce evenly over the cheese. Repeat this layering two more times.
For the final layer, place the 3 remaining noodles on top. Spread the remaining 1 1/4 cups sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and then the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Spray a large sheet of foil lightly with vegetable oil spray and cover the lasagna. Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is browned and the sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.