Cherry-Ginger Icebox Cookies
Yield: 4 dozen
From the Riverbend Inn, Chocorua, NH.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 16-ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup red decorator sugar crystals
Instructions:Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, beating well. Pat cherries between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Stir cherries, ginger and pecans into dough. Cover and chill at least two hours. Shape dough into two 8-inch rolls, Roll in red sugar crystals. Wrap rolls in plastic or wax paper and chill or freeze until firm.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice chilled (or frozen) dough into 1/4-inch slices, using a sharp knife. Place on lightly greased or Silpat-lined baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool one minutes on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.