Chicken, Apple, and Cheese Casserole
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
This Chicken, Apple, and Cheese Casserole is outstanding! The combination of apples and Swiss cheese is lovely, and preparation is easy. Use Golden Delicious apples -- or any other variety firm enough to hold up when cooked.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3 medium-size apples, halved, cored, and sliced (3 cups)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 whole chicken breasts, boned, skinned, and split
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons brandy or apple cider
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and onions and saute until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Spoon into the baking dish.
Rub the chicken with the salt and pepper and arrange over the apple-onion mixture. Combine the cheeses with the bread crumbs and thyme and sprinkle the mixture over the chicken. Drizzle the brandy over the cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and the chicken is done.