Chicken Chilaquiles with Spicy Tomatillo Salsa
- 12 ~ 5½-inch corn tortillas, cut into pie-shaped quarters
- ¼ cup canola or safflower oil
- One 8-ounce can chopped green chilies (about 1 cup), drained
- 2 cups Spicy Tomatillo Salsa (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 7 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup drained, crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Brush the tortillas lightly with the oil and bake 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp and very light brown.
3. Stir together the chilies, salsa, cilantro, scallions, cream cheese, feta, sour cream, heavy cream, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Fold in the chicken and mix well.
4. Combine the Monterey Jack and Cheddar together in a separate bowl.
5. Arrange half the tortillas in the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Spread half the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle half the cheese over the chicken mixture.
6. Arrange the remaining tortillas over the cheese mixture, spread with the remaining chicken mixture, and top with the remaining cheese mixture.
7. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling around the sides and the cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately.