chicken curry with cashews
In this recipe adapted from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Asian
Cookbook, ground cashews thicken the curry and give it a rich,
Nutty flavor. Both roasted and raw cashews work well, so use
Whichever you prefer.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- CHICKEN CURRY WITH CASHEWS
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-lb) chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup cashews (1/4 lb)
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- Accompaniment: cooked basmati or jasmine rice
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
Heat butter in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately
Low heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, garlic, and
Ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry
Powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, stirring, 2 min.
Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes. Add
Tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro and bring to a sim-
Mer, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally,
Until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. (If making
Ahead, see cooks' note, below.)
Just before serving:
Pulse cashews in a food processor or electric coffee/spice
Grinder until very finely ground, then add to curry along
With yogurt and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until
Sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Curry, without yogurt and cashews, can be made 5 days ahead
And cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered.
Reheat over low heat before stirring in yogurt and ground
Makes 4 to 6 servings.