Chicken in Scallion Sauce
Total Time: 15
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 4-5 pound roasting chicken
- 2 watercress bunches, long stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2-3 dried chili peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch paste (3 parts cornstarch to 1 part water)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Instructions:Fill a large soup pot with 6 quarts water. Add chicken and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes. Turn chicken and cook another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and cover tightly. Let sit 2 hours.
Remove chicken; it'll be chopstick tender. Discard skin and bones.
Arrange watercress on a large serving platter. Shred meat and place meat on top of watercress.
In a wok or large sauté pan over high heat, heat peanut oil and add chili pepper, ginger, garlic, scallions, peppercorns, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch paste, and sesame oil. Stir and cook 2 minutes.
Pour sauce over chicken and serve.