Total Time: 25
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
The Spalding Inn
Whitefield, New Hampshire
Chef Scott Johnson’s soup is especially refreshing in the spring.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme, and sage
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: 8 to 10 lemon slices
Instructions:In a large pot over high heat, combine stock, onion, and carrot. Bring to a boil, then add chicken. Lower heat, cover the pot, and simmer 15 minutes.
Add rice, oregano, and poultry seasoning. Simmer, covered, an additional 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
In a large bowl or 4-cup glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs and yolks until frothy. While continuing to whisk, add about 1/2 cup hot soup. Continue slowly adding soup, whisking constantly, until about 3 cups of liquid have been added. (It is important to keep whisking so the broth does not turn the eggs into scrambled eggs.) Slowly pour the egg mixture into the remaining soup, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with lemon slices. Serve immediately.
The soup may be reheated, but be careful not to bring it to a full boil, which could curdle the eggs.