Chicken Liver P
Yield: about 3 cups
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 pound chicken livers (preferably organic), trimmed of fat and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons brandy or port wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Instructions:In a large skillet, cook bacon over moderate heat until browned. Add onion and continue cooking until golden. Add carrots, garlic, and butter; cook until carrots are tender.
Remove pan from heat and add chicken livers and brandy or port. Return pan to heat and cook, stirring gently, until livers are cooked through but slightly pink in the center, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add parsley, stir, then remove from heat and put in a food processor until smooth. If you like a creamier consistency, add cream.
Serve garnished with parsley on a platter surrounded by crackers, sliced French bread, gherkins, onions, and capers, if desired.