Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Yield: 8 cups
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 T butter
- 1 leek, white and light green part only, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, slices
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/4 c flour
- 6 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breast)
- 2 t fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 t kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17.3-ozs box of 2,) thawed as package directs
- 4 ozs fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-in. pieces
Instructions:Heat oven to 400 degr. F
Melt butter in a 5-qt. pot. Add leek, carrots, parsnips and celery. Saute 5 minutes or until softened slightly. Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Stir in broth. Add chicken, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, unfold puff pastry on a cutting board. Cut along folds in dough and then quarter crosswise to make 12 rectangles. Place rectangles on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake 12 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Let cool.
Remove cooked chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Add green beans to simmering soup; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Remove soup from heat.
As the green beans cook, shred chicken with fingers or two forks. Add to soup. Top with puff pastry or serve it on the side.