Chicory and Beet Salad
Yield: Serves 4
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 1 head chicory
- 4 medium beets, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/'2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:1. Fry the bacon until crisp and drain on absorbent paper. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
2. Remove any wilted outer leaves from the head of chicory, then tear the inner leaves into bite-size portions. Transfer to a salad bowl, add the beets, and combine.
3. Break the bacon into small bits and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in the oil and the reserved bacon fat. Then pour the dressing on the salad. Add the bacon pieces and toss to combine. Sprinkle the chicory with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.