chocolate pudding 101
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. In a 4-cup measuring cup, combine 1 1/4 cups cream with milk and vanilla. Whisk 1 cup cream mixture into dry ingredients until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Whisk in remaining cream mixture until smooth.
2. Place saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add chocolate, and cook, whisking until chocolate is melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter until melted. Using a 3-ounce ladle, pour pudding into six dessert cups. Refrigerate until completely set, about 1 hour.
3. Whip remaining cup of cream to soft peaks, and serve with pudding.