Chocolate Sheet Cake
Yield: about 40 servings
This Chocolate Sheet Cake is a quick and easy dessert with a frosting that turns to fudge. Terrific for a summer picnic.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream, buttermilk, or yogurtFrosting:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar (4-1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11-inch by 17-inch baking pan.
In a large saucepan, combine the 1 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil, then cool to room temperature. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for about 22 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, make the frosting by combining all the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour the warm frosting on the warm cake. Let cool before serving.