Yield: Makes enough dough for 1 double-crust 9-inch pie.
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (see Sam’s Pie Crust below)
- 2 cups ground clams (sea clams preferred)
- 1/4 cup clam liquor
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 cup (heaping) Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:Place bottom crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Combine remaining ingredients and season to taste; pour into the pie crust. Following directions for Sam’s Pie Crust, cover with top crust, seal well, and vent with fork tines. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for about 1 hour.
Variation: For Scalloped Clams, omit pie crusts. Place filling in a 1-1/2-quart greased baking dish and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 2 cups flour; plus extra for dredging crust
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup lard
- 5 to 6 tablespoons milk, plus extra to sprinkle pie crust
- 2 teaspoons Crisco
- 1 teaspoon butter