Yield: 6 servings
This quintessential summer soup has been a tradition in Spain for centuries. With all of the fresh flavor and nutrients of raw vegetables, it has aptly been called a liquid salad.
- 3 pounds tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large or 2 small green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or other vinegar
- 1 slice white bread, crust cut off, saturated with cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon hot-pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
In a blender or food processor, purée the tomatoes, onion, and peppers (each separately) until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the processed vegetables, add the remaining ingredients, and stir to blend. Set the soup aside for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to marry. Serve cold.