Cod with Ginger-Basil Butter on Fragrant Rice
Total Time: 40
Yield: 6 servings
This is the ultimate winter warmer, a fragrant dish of cod served over rice seasoned with cumin and turmeric. Served with a butter sauce made with ginger, basil, and star anise, it's a heady combination. But the flavor of the fish still shines through.
Note: There's a lot of confusion about cod stocks and whether cod is an eco-friendly option right now. Cape Ann Fresh Catch buys cod only from boats working within NOAA guidelines. If sustainable cod isn't available, substitute another firm, white fish.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
For the rice:
- 1-1/4 cups jasmine or basmati rice
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Instructions:Put rice into a 3- to 4-quart pot with water, cinnamon, cumin seeds, turmeric, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer until all the water has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice sit, covered, 5 more minutes.
For the fish:
- 2 pounds cod fillets, cut into 6 equal portions (see "Note")
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 12 slices unpeeled fresh ginger
- 4 fresh basil stems (with leaves), each cut into 3 pieces
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
- 6 whole star anise
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, and minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 serrano chile, halved and thinly sliced (for less heat, remove seeds)
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
Instructions:Meanwhile, set out 6 square pieces of aluminum foil, each about 12 inches wide. Lay a piece of fish on each one. Sprinkle with a bit of salt. To each packet add 2 slices ginger and 2 pieces basil stems. Seal each packet.
Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot fitted with a steamer. Add fish packets to steamer, reduce heat to a simmer, and steam until fish is opaque, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in a small pot, melt butter until it sizzles. Add star anise, ginger, cumin, sugar, chile, and basil. Simmer 3 minutes.
Divide rice among bowls. Top with fish; then spoon butter sauce over fish.