Yield: Makes 6 to 8 generous servings.
- 2 bell peppers, 1 red and 1 green, cored
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 large ears corn, cooked
- 2 cups small red new potatoes, cooked
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cut peppers into thin strips; then, in a medium-sized skillet, sauté over high heat in 2 tablespoons of the oil until peppers are browned in spots. Set aside. Cut corn from the cob and dice potatoes fairly small. Mix remaining 1/3 cup of oil with onion, herbs, mustard, soy sauce, and vinegar. Stir in the peppers, then add the remaining vegetables and season to taste. Stir well and chill in a tightly covered 2-quart bowl for at least 2 hours, so flavors have a chance to blend. This salad will keep well in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days.