Corned Beef & Cabbage
Total Time: 1
Yield: 10 servings
Don't let the list of ingredients deter you; this is a delicious recipe that takes "boiled dinner" to a new level. Sure, you could buy corned beef at the market and skip an easy step, but what additives are in it? And to further the flavor, we roast the vegetables instead of boiling them, for a deeper, richer flavor.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
Brining the beef:
- 1 gallon water
- 1-1/2 cups kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 dried bay leaves, crushed
- 8 thyme stems
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 5-6 pound "flat-cut" beef brisket
Instructions:In a large pot, stir together salt and water until salt dissolves. Stir in sugar, coriander, mustard, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, pepper flakes, and garlic.
Add beef and submerge. Place a small plate on top to keep it underwater. Cover pot and refrigerate 7 days.
Preparing the dinner:
- 1 medium-size onion, halved
- 1 medium-size celery stalk, halved
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled and halved
- 1 medium-size cabbage head, cut into 8 wedges (core intact to preserve leaves)
- 1/4 cup (approx.) olive oil
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 3-4 turnips, peeled and quartered
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- Dijon mustard
Instructions:Rinse brisket; discard brine. Place brisket in a large pot. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add onion, celery, and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until very tender, 3-3-1/2 hours.
Transfer beef to a cutting board. Tent with foil, and let rest 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 400°.
Discard remaining solids from broth and strain. Discard all but 1/2 cup broth.
In a large bowl, add cabbage and drizzle with olive oil to coat lightly. Arrange in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven.
Add baby carrots and turnips to the bowl, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven.
Add Brussels sprouts to the bowl, drizzle with oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven.
Add potatoes to the bowl, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven.
Turn vegetables every 15 minutes or so until well-browned. Remove to a platter once they're cooked, and tent with foil.
Trim excess fat from beef. Slice thinly against the grain and transfer to a platter. Serve with broth, mustard, and roasted vegetables.