Cranberry and Port-Braised Short Ribs
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 1
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 5 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 750-ml bottle dry red wine
- 1/2 cup ruby port
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (about 2/3 bag)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups beef or veal stock
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 375°. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown ribs in oil (in batches if necessary), about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
Lower heat to medium and sauté onions and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add parsnip and celery; cook 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook an additional 3 minutes. Add wine, port, sugar, cranberries, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
Add stock, bring to a boil, and cook about 5 minutes. Return ribs to the pan and cover tightly; bake 3 hours. Let cool slightly, then remove ribs from liquid, separate meat from bones and cartilage, and reserve meat (discard bones and cartilage).
Pass vegetables and liquid through a sieve or a double layer of cheesecloth to separate liquid from solids, discarding solids. Skim oil from sauce and discard. Return liquid to stove and heat gently 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve meat with sauce.