Cream Cheese and Leek Soup with Ham
Yield: Serves 4-6.
Rich and filling, this Cream Cheese and Leek Soup with Ham rewarms well but should not be brought to the boiling point.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped, or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 large leeks, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken broth or bouillon
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup finely chopped chives
Heat 2-1/2 tablespoons butter in a heavy pan, add spinach and leeks, and cook until soft. Sprinkle in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add chicken broth and cook until thickened. Simmer for 15 minutes. Mash the cream cheese in a bowl, add salt and pepper, and stir in yogurt and egg yolks. Beat until smooth. Carefully stir cheese mixture into the soup and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Sauté the ham in the remaining butter and add to soup. Serve hot, garnished with chives.