Cream of Celeriac Soup
Yield: Serves 6
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, white portion only, thinly sliced
- 4 medium celeriacs
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds
- 14 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup medium or whipping cream
Instructions:1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and leeks and toss to coat. Cover the pan and cook over low heat until tender. Meanwhile, peel and cut the celeriac into chunks. Pour the chicken broth into the pan. Add the celeriac and the almonds. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until the celeriac is tender. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth.
2. Return the purée to the saucepan and blend in the mace and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and gradually stir in the cream. Place over medium heat and warm gently, but do not allow the soup to boil. Serve immediately.