Creamy Pumpkin Pie
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed or canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup light cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar into a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the eggs, yolk, and vanilla. Process again, scraping down the sides of the bowl. In a small bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Add to the cream cheese mixture along with the pumpkin and light cream. Purée, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Carefully pour the filling into the pan. Place the pie on the center oven rack and bake for about 50 minutes. When done, the filling will be “set”—puffed around the edges, less so in the center. The edges will have a dull finish; the center will be shiny. Transfer to a rack and cool completely. Refrigerate for 4 hours, uncovered, before serving. To refrigerate longer, cover loosely with tented foil.