Crumb Coffee Cake
Total Time: 20
Yield: 9 servings
Like the sour cream coffee cake, crumb cake was a Northern European invention, originally prepared with a yeast-raised dough but simplified in the 20th century with the use of chemical leaveners like baking powder. It's generally thought of as a New York specialty, but it's found all through New England as well.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
For the crumb topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Instructions:Preheat the oven to 375° and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
Make the crumb topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork. Set aside.
For the cake:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract