Cure All Chicken Soup
Yield: 8-12 servings
- Canola and olive oil
- 2-inch knob of fresh ginger peeled and sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic pressed through a garlic press or diced fine
- 1 large red onion, sliced, quartered and diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- One whole roasting chicken, giblets removed, rinsed and dried
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dill
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of cayenne
- juice of one lemon
- chicken or vegetable broth, about 32-48 ounces
- 2 10-ounce cans chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces sliced or whole baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 red pepper membrane removed and diced into small pieces
- Fresh Kale or spinach (optional but good for you)
- 4-8 ounces Capellini pasta broken into small pieces (optional)
- 4 small potatoes if needed (*see below)
Instructions:In a large Dutch Oven heat oils to cover bottom of pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger and mushrooms and sauté until everything is fragrant and mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove to platter.
Add oil if needed to cover bottom of pot and increase heat just a bit. Season whole chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt per pound and the paprika and place in dutch oven. When browned and beginning to get crispy turn over and repeat on the other side.
Return reserved onion, garlic, ginger and mushroom mix to pot.
Add enough chicken or vegetable stock to barely cover chicken. Add 2 cans of chopped tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat.
Remove whole chicken from pot, let cool and remove skin. Slice and cut up the meat you want in your soup. Add to pot.
Add cayenne, bay leaf, lemon juice, and all other seasonings.
Add all vegetables and pasta and simmer soup until vegetables are tender.
*If you added too much cayenne, add small quartered potatoes to remove "The Hot"!