Total Time: 45
Yield: 4 pints
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, stems removed
- 8-10 sprigs fresh dill
- 4 medium cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise
- 4 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons coarse or pickling salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Instructions:Wash beans, then cut into lengths 1/2 inch shorter than jar. Fill a 3- to 4-quart pot with enough water to cover the beans by an inch. Set pot over high heat, bring to a boil, and cook just 1-1/2 minutes. Drain, then plunge into ice water to stop cooking; drain. Pack beans tightly into fully sterilized jars. Add 2 or 3 sprigs of dill and a few slices of garlic to each jar.
Add vinegar, water, salt, fennel, and flakes to the pot. Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Boil 1 minute, then pour over beans, filling each jar to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles by tapping jars lightly; wipe rims with a clean towel. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in a boiling-water bath for 15 minutes.