Dorset Black Bean Soup
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
A good soup that's low in fat. Great with a glass of red zinfandel and a fresh baguette.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pound dry black beans
- 6 cups defatted chicken, vegetable, or ham broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large or 2 medium-size onions, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, including leaves, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 serrano chili peppers (or to taste)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Lemon slices, to garnish
Instructions:Wash the beans. Combine with water to cover in a large saucepan or stockpot and soak overnight.
The next morning, drain the beans. Combine the beans with 2 cups water, the broth, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Add the remaining ingredients, except the lemon slices, and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove the bay leaf. Blend the soup in a blender for a smooth soup or mash the beans with a potato masher for a chunky soup. Serve hot, garnishing each bowl with a slice of lemon.