Dutch Apple Cake
Yield: 10-12 servings
- * 3 medium peeled tart apples, sliced 1/4 inch thick (3 cups)
- * 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- * 2/3 cup butter, softened
- * 4 eggs
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- * 2 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1/8 teaspoon salt
Instructions:In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; let stand for 1 hour.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm.