Egg and Vegetable Tart with Leeks (Tortino di verdure ed uova con porri)
Yield: Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 6 large eggs
- 2 leeks, white parts only, washed and julienned
- 2 large Swiss chard stalks, thick stem removed, washed and julienned (may substitute equal amount of fresh spinach)
- 4 asparagus spears, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Pinch of saffron threads
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra for greasing
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons medium-ground matzo meal
- 3 large roasted peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- Garnish: fresh baby greens or mesclun mix, toasted walnuts
Instructions:Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 300°. In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, then add leeks, Swiss chard, asparagus, saffron, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
Brush the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan with olive oil; line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Grease the top of the parchment paper. Sprinkle an even layer of matzo meal onto the greased surface. Bake 5 minutes.
Pour the egg-vegetable mixture into the pan and place in the oven. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a cake taster inserted in the middle comes out clean. (A little wetness is fine–the tart will continue to cook as it rests.) Cool before serving.
Combine peppers, garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and puree in a food processor or blender. If the mixture appears too thick, add a tablespoon or more of water to thin.
Cut the tart into wedges and place on serving plates. Spoon the pepper-garlic puree over the top or on the side of each wedge and garnish with greens and walnuts.