Yield: Serves 6
- 1 pound fiddleheads
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 head romaine, shredded
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
Instructions:1. Trim the fiddleheads and arrange them in a steam basket. Place over boiling water and steam for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain in a colander set under cold running water. Shake gently to remove as much water as possible. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, salt, and cayenne. Whisk in the oil. Then stir in the garlic and chives. Pour over the fiddleheads, tossing to coat evenly. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
3. Just before serving, divide the shredded romaine among 6 salad plates. Spoon on the chilled fiddleheads in an attractive pattern. Separate the hard-boiled egg yolks from the egg whites and reserve the whites for another use. Force the egg yolks through a sieve and then sprinkle over the fiddleheads. Serve immediately.