Fish Fillets in a Bath of Garlic
Yield: Serves 6
- 6 halibut or sea bass fillets, 6 ounces each
- Salt to taste, plus 1 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 dried ancho chili pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2/3 cup fish stock or bottled clam juice
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sprinkle fish fillets with salt and pepper. Place a large cast-iron or other heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the fish fillets and sear, turning once, until lightly golden on both sides, 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer the fillets to an ovenproof platter or shallow baking dish and place in the oven to finish cooking until opaque throughout, 3-5 minutes depending upon thickness of fillets.
Meanwhile, add the remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil to the same pan and place over medium-low heat. Add garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Saut