Fish with Sweet-Sour Sauce
Yield: Serves 4.
Millie's cooking is famous among her neighbors, and what they most often request is Chinese food. The sweet-sour sauce in this dish would also go well with chicken or pork, prepared the same way as the fish -- dipped in batter and deep-fried.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pound sole, flounder, or haddock fillets
- 1 tablespoon each, cooking sherry and vinegar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart cooking oil
- Sweet-Sour Sauce (recipe follows)
Instructions:Cut fish into 1-1/2-inch pieces. Marinate in sherry and vinegar for 2 hours. Make a batter of the flour, egg, water, and salt. Drain fish and dip pieces into the batter. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Serve with Sweet-Sour Sauce.
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 thin slices fresh ginger root (if available)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 to 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Small amount of cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar