Freekeh Salad with Beans, Almonds, and Feta
Total Time: 55 minutes
Hands On Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 cups freekeh
- 1 1/2 cups shelled edamame, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large shallots, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 6 to 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Small bunch mint leaves, thinly sliced
Put water, 1 tablespoons salt, and cinnamon stick in a 3- to 4-quart pot of water and bring to a boil. Add freekeh, stir, then cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until grains are firm-tender and water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. In the last few minutes of cooking, add edamame and currants (or raisins) and stir. Discard cinnamon stick. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, minced shallots, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Let sit 5 minutes, then whisk in oil.
Transfer freekeh mixture to a serving bowl and toss with the dressing. Stir in the almonds and feta and sprinkle generously with the mint and lightly toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.