French Cherry Dessert
Yield: 4 servings
This French Cherry Dessert is simple to make, and very good. For a large group, triple the recipe and bake in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted sweet or sour cherries, drained (reserve the liquid)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (if using sour cherries)
- Whipped cream or confectioners' sugar (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1-quart baking dish.
Combine the 1/2 cup sugar, butter, milk, flour, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Pour into the baking dish. Spoon the cherries on top.
Combine the reserved cherry liquid and 1 tablespoon sugar and boil to reduce the volume by half. Pour over the cherries.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. The cherries will sink to the bottom and the dough will rise to the top. Serve with whipped cream or a dusting of confectioners' sugar, if desired.