Yield: Serves 4
Eggplant, cut into narrow strips, may be cooked in deep fat and then served as you would french-fried potatoes.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons cold water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Unseasoned bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Coarse salt
Instructions:1. Cut the eggplants lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut the slices into 1/2-inch-wide strips, then cut the strips into 3-1/2-inch lengths. Place in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Drain in a colander and distribute over absorbent paper. Pat dry.
2. In a wide mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, salt, and pepper. Dip the strips of eggplant into the beaten eggs, then coat with bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer. When it reaches 375°, add the eggplant in small batches. Cook until lightly browned and drain on absorbent paper. Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve on a napkin-lined plate.