French Onion Soup
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Just A Great Easy Recipe for those cold days, great with sandwiches, salad, or by itself!!
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 5 or 6 medium sweet onions sliced thin (approx. 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (real butter is best)
- 4-10 1/2 oz. cans condensed beef broth (with or without onion, doesn't matter)
- 1+ teaspoon(s) Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of fresh ground pepper
- 6 to 8 slices French bread
- Shredded cheese (your choice... I have used provolone,cheddar, swiss)
Instructions:In a large pan cook onions in butter, covered, until they tenderize. Add broth, worchestershire sauce, salt, & pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
For the bread there are several options.
1. Sprinkle your choice cheese on the bread, place under broiler until cheese melts and starts to brown slightly. Ladle soup into large bowls, and float bread on top.
2. In a broiler-proof soup bowl, you can float the bread on the soup add cheese and place the whole thing under the broiler until the cheese starts to melt and brown slightly.
3. In a broiler-proof soup bowl, place a slice of bread (toasted or not) in the bottom, ladle soup on top of the bread, sprinkle cheese on top of the soup, place in the broiler until cheese melts and browns slightly.
4. Use it for dipping!
WATCH OUT!!! Bowls will be VERY hot!
Use oven mitts!!