French onion soup
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- French Onion Soup
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
- 4 large yellow onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 very thin slices French bread
- 4 oz. freshly shredded Emmental cheese
Instructions:In a deep pot, saute the onions in the butter and oil for about 15
minutes, or until brown. Stir in the flour, coating the onions well.
Stir in 2 cups of the broth and deglaze the pan. Add the wine,
Worcestershire, bay leaf, pepper, and the remaining 2 cups of broth.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. When
ready to serve, toast the bread until golden brown. Remove the bay
leaf and ladle the soup into four small bowls or crocks. Top each with
a toasted bread slice, then sprinkle with 1 ounce of the cheese. Serve
with a crisp green salad.
Yield: 4 servings.