French Toast Strata
Yield: 6 to 8.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- half of a 1-pound loaf of French or Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, slices halved
Instructions:Melt the butter or margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the apple until just softened, about 3 minutes, and remove from heat. Stir in the raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 cup sour cream.
In a medium bowl beat the eggs, milk, maple syrup, and remaining 1/2 cup sour cream. In a buttered 10-inch pie plate or 9-inch square baking dish, layer half the bread; spread apple-sour cream mixture over the bread and then layer with remaining bread. Pour egg-milk mixture over. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake strata in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.