Return to Content

Fresh Strawberry Milkshake (Frappe)

Fresh Strawberry Milkshake (Frappe)
6 votes, 4.67 avg. rating (91% score)
Print Friendly

Yield: about 2-1/2 cups

Thick, rich, and frosty.

Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your PhotoUpload Your Photo

strawberry milkshake


  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup vanilla ice cream
  • 1 cup strawberries


Combine ingredients in blender and blend until thick and smooth. Use different berries, proceeding as above, and concoct milk shakes of entirely different flavors.
Updated Thursday, May 26th, 2011

Bring New England Home

Subscribe for 1 year for only $19.97!

A 44% saving!


Browse Similar Recipes

18 Responses to Fresh Strawberry Milkshake (Frappe)

  1. Polly April 24, 2014 at 7:41 am #

    A milkshake didn’t include ice cream when I was growing up in New England – just milk and flavoring. This would be called a frappe!

  2. Mary April 24, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

    No, that would be a cabinet!

  3. Carol April 25, 2014 at 7:15 am #

    I grew up in and still live in New England . A ” cabinet ” contains ice cream .

  4. Kate April 25, 2014 at 7:49 am #

    I grew up in New England as well and I also worked in an ice cream parlor when I was a teenager and, yes, a cabinet contains ice cream – it is just the old time New England word for a milkshake. Though I do wonder about the origins of the name- does anyone know?

  5. Joan L. April 25, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

    A milk shake was definitely just milk & syrup.
    A frappe was , milk and ice cream &. Flavoring.
    In and around Boston & South Shore…all my life.
    Here in CT…they call a milk shake ….a shake..but if you slip
    And ask for a frappe, they stare at you!

  6. Al W April 26, 2014 at 10:55 am #

    I am 68 and have lived in NH, Boston area and Western Mass area. Never heard of a cabinet. Frappe was syrup, milk and ice cream. Milk shake was syrup and milk.

  7. G Kurtz April 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

    In the Canadian west, (Saskatoon Saskatchewan) we call it a milkshake. I always thought a frappe was thin and had no ice cream, and hence glorified chocolate milk, and I have never heard of a cabinet.

  8. MCVK April 26, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

    The “Dictionary of American Regional English” (Harvard Press) would have definitions and explanations for cabinet, milkshake and frappe; it would also tell you in what part of the country each term is used. Your local library should have a set (there are several volumes, A-Z) in their reference section. It’s actually fun to read, esp. to compare faucet/spigot, frying pan/skillet, and all those other regionalisms.

  9. Marilyn April 26, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

    In Yankee-land this is a frappe. Are Yankee Magazine’s editors from away??

    • Brenda Darroch April 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm #

      Hi Marilyn,
      Our editors here at Yankee are from all over New England.

  10. Dave April 26, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

    I was brought up in Nashua N.H. it was always called a Frappe… Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, or Coffee Frappe…MMM!!! Coffee Frappe…

  11. Karen Leh April 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

    Remember Friendly’s used to all them Fribbles. I lived in Chicopee Falls Ma in the 70’s Westover AFB

  12. Carrie Price April 26, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

    Order a chocolate milk and you get chocolate syrup and milk, a milkshake has ice cream in it, you got a frappe at Friendlys. Never heard of a cabinet-Southern Ct

  13. Barbara April 26, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

    Milkshakes are milk and syrup and Frappes have added ice cream, from Western Massachusetts.

  14. milly April 26, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

    never heard of a cabinet but a drink with milk, ice cream (lots is better!) and flavored syrup or fruit is definitely a frappe. Milkshake was milk that was, well, shaken with syrup!

  15. Nancy Smith June 2, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

    I lived in Rhode Island until the age of 8. A cabinet has milk, flavoring and ice cream. At age 8 we moved to Massachusetts, and lo and behold, a cabinet is called a frappe!

  16. Lucy Baldwin June 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

    See this clarifying article: Drinking a Cabinet

  17. Jamie June 9, 2016 at 5:23 pm #

    OK, I have heard, that certain areas in New England call it a cabinet..but..we’ve always called it a frappe here in Massachusetts…Frappes have added ice cream and milkshakes were milk and syrup, shaken, not stirred 😉

Leave a Reply

We reserve the right to remove or edit comments that are offensive or disrespectful to our readers and/or writers, cannot be verified, lack clarity, or contain profanity. Your comments may be republished by Yankee Magazine across multiple platforms.

©2016, Yankee Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Yankee Publishing Inc., | P.O. Box 520, Dublin, NH 03444 | (603) 563-8111