Fresh Vegetable Medley with Spaghetti Squash
Yield: 6 servings
This Fresh Vegetable Medley side dish, perfect for a summer supper, is delicious served warm or at room temperature.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- Uncooked Tomato Sauce:
- 1 28-ounce can peeled Italian-style tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium summer squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped, white part only
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Early in the day prepare sauce. Drain tomatoes and place in a medium bowl with olive oil, garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and oregano. Cover and let stand at room temperature.
Prick the skin of spaghetti squash, and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool and cut in half lengthwise; scoop out any seeds and loose, stringy membrane. With a fork, scrape spaghetti strands of squash from shell into a large bowl. Cover and set aside.
Steam broccoli, zucchini, and summer squash until each is fork tender; rinse in cold water to retard further cooking and keep fresh color. Heat olive oil in large skillet and saute scallions until soft. Add steamed vegetables and heat thoroughly. Toss spaghetti squash with hot vegetables and tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with pepper.