Fried Green Tomatoes with Red Onion
Total Time: 20
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tennis-ball-sized green tomatoes, cored and sliced into
- 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: 1/4 cup sour cream and 2 tablespoons minced red onion
Instructions:Heat oven to 425°. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Beat together eggs and water, then pour the mixture into another shallow dish or pie plate. Pour cornmeal into a third shallow dish. Coat each tomato slice with flour (shake off excess), then egg, then cornmeal. Lay slices on a cookie sheet.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, pour a thin layer of canola oil to completely cover the bottom of the skillet. Pan fry the coated tomato slices until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to finish cooking, about 8 minutes.
Place tomato slices on serving plates or a large platter, then top with sour cream and red onion. Serve immediately.