Fried Rice with Shrimp, Pork, and Peas
cooks illustrated - insider
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs , beaten lightly
- 8 ounces small shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen peas (preferably baby peas), thawed
- 1/2 ounce dried shitake mushrooms (5 to 6 medium), rehydrated in 1 cup hot water until softened, about 15 minutes, then drained, trimmed of stems, and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 Chinese sausages (lop cheong) (about 4 ounces), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces, or, 8 ounces sliced smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 4 ounces Chinese roast pork , cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 medium cloves garlic , minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 5 cups cooked white rice (cold), large clumps broken up with fingers
- 5 medium scallions , sliced thin (about 1/2 cup)
- Adding the ingredients in batches ensures a bright, flavorful fried rice that is never mushy.
1. Combine oyster sauce and soy sauce in small bowl; set aside.
2. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add eggs and cook without stirring, until they just begin to set, about 20 seconds, then scramble and break into small pieces with wooden spoon; continue to cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are cooked through but not browned, about 1 minute longer. Transfer eggs to small bowl and set aside.
3. Return skillet to medium heat and heat until hot, about 1 minute; add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, until opaque and just cooked through, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with eggs and set aside.
4. Return skillet to burner, increase heat to high and heat skillet until hot, about 2 minutes; add remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add peas, mushrooms, sausage or ham, and pork; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add rice and oyster sauce mixture; cook, stirring constantly and breaking up rice clumps, until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, shrimp, and scallions; cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.