Gingered Carrot Soup
Yield: Serves 6
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh orange juice, chilled
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint for garnish
Instructions:1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the carrots and onion and toss to coat. Cover the pan and cook slowly for 10 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the salt, cayenne, ginger, and nutmeg. Simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are soft enough to mash against the side of the pan.
2. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Blend in the orange juice and Cointreau. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Serve in clear glass bowls garnished with mint.